A plan of improvement can be written for any teacher who performs unsatisfactorily in one or more areas. The plan highlights their deficiencies, offers suggestions for improvement, and gives a time line in which they must meet the goals set in the plan of improvement. The following is a sample plan of improvement.
Employee: Any Teacher, Any Grade, Any Public School
Preparer: Any Principal, Principal, Any Public School
Date: Monday, January 3, 2011
Reasons for Action: Performance Deficiencies & Insubordination
Purpose of the Plan: The purpose of this plan is to provide goals and suggestions to help the teacher improve in areas of deficiencies.
Area of Deficiency
- Instructional Ineffectiveness
- Unsatisfactory Teaching Performance
- Willful Neglect of Duty
Description of conduct or performance:
- I have formally and informally visited Mrs. Teacher’s classroom several times since the beginning of the school year. Most every time Mrs. Teacher has been sitting at her desk, students have been working on worksheets, writing spelling words, etc. I have seen very little teacher instruction occurring and when I have seen instruction it has been review, rather than new information.
- During my observations, I have noticed that the students are not involved in learning. Most seem disinterested in the classroom proceedings, and many of them hardly bother to go through the motions of responding when called upon by Mrs. Teacher.
- On Wednesday, December 29, 2010, I walked into Mrs. Teacher’s classroom and noticed the students were left there unattended. Mrs. Teacher left the classroom to grab a cup of coffee and to use the bathroom and did not have anyone watch her classroom.
- On, Wednesday, Friday, December 31, 2010 I visited Mrs. Teacher’s classroom three times throughout the day with the visits lasting about 10-15 minutes each time. When I entered the classroom all three times, Mrs. Teacher was at her desk, and the students were working on worksheets. Many of the students seemed bored and disinterested with their work. On occasion, a student would go up to her desk for help, and she did get up on one occasion and walk around the room monitoring the students’ progress.
- Mrs. Teacher must receive prior administrator approval before leaving her classroom while students are in the classroom.
- Mrs. Teacher will be given several articles that provide successful tips for classroom management, motivation techniques, and instructional strategies.
- Mrs. Teacher will be required to observe Mrs. Another Teacher’s classroom for one hour on Tuesday, January 4, 2010 from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. and again on Thursday, January 13, 2010 from 1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Mrs. Another Teacher is a veteran teacher and does a fantastic job motivating and instructing students.
- Mrs. Teacher must not leave any students without adult supervision during any part of the school day.
- This plan of improvement will remain in effect for three weeks, beginning Monday, January 3, 2011 and ending Friday, January 21, 2011.
- This is a plan of improvement that highlights your deficiencies as a professional educator. These are serious enough to admonish you and give notice of deficiencies in the areas listed above. Failure to correct these deficiencies will result in a recommendation for your suspension, demotion, non-reemployment, or dismissal.
Delivery & Time to Respond:
- This plan of improvement was delivered in a meeting with Mrs. Teacher on Monday, January 3, 2011. She has until Friday, January 7, 2011 to sign and return a copy of the plan of improvement.
- The initial conference to go over this plan of improvement will be on Monday, January 3, 2011. We will have a review conference on Friday, January 21, 2011. This conference will be used to review and discuss the progress Mrs. Teacher has made towards the provisions listed within this letter of admonishment and plan of improvement.
______________________________________________________________________ Any Principal, Principal, Any Public Schools/Date
______________________________________________________________________ Any Teacher, Teacher, Any Public School/Date
I have read the information outlined in this letter of admonishment and plan of improvement. Although I may not agree with the assessment of my supervisor, I understand that if I do not make improvements in the areas of deficiency and follow the suggestions listed within this letter that I may be recommended for suspension, demotion, non-reemployment, or dismissal.